Thursday, December 9, 2010

Day 22: Cutting Cost & Saving $ - The Next Steps in My Budget Makeover

The budget is complete but for a few adjustments that will be made in January.  In the meantime I am looking for all ways to save.  How am I going to do that?

1. Look at every fixed line item in the budget and investigate if there is a way to cut cost.

2. Cut my latte factor. In my case and my husbands our Latte Factor IS a Dunkin Donuts Coffee Addiction. We love Dunkin Donuts coffee. Now I buy a bag (look for it on sale & coupons) and brew at home. On Sunday's after Church we do treat ourselves to coffee and the children to donuts at Dunkin Donuts and it makes it more fun and special. - Saving $1000

3. Before any "want" purchase I ask myself  "Is this worth my time?" I know what I make per hour with my part-time job. I simply say to myself before a want purchase or impulse buy "Is this shirt worth 3 hours of my time?" I have found myself saying "no" to many impulse purchases.

4.  No savings is too small. I think of small savings in this regard after reading Dave Ramsey's book. Would I throw a $1 or 25 cents for that matter out the window of my car? No, never!! Why then is it not worth the time to cut a coupon for a product I always purchase, wait for a "want" item to go on sale, or simply say no I don't need that. All the savings add up!  The Total Money Makeover: A Proven Plan for Financial Fitness

Dave Ramsey quotes John Maxwell about budgeting in his book "A budget is people telling their money where to go instead of wondering where it went."

I am going to tell my money where to go! Get to it and find ways to save! Share any good tips!

To Do List:
  1. ChaLEAN Extreme Burn Intervals & Ab Burner - C
  2. Write letter for St. B. Art Auction - Started by not C
  3. Get Mass Card for Brenda's Mom
  4. Look online for sparring equipment  - C
  5. Work 2 hrs. - NC


Always To Do:
  1. What's for dinner? Chicken Noodle Soup - C
  2. Refer to weekly calendar. AM/PM -  AM/C
  3. Put new apt. on the calendar C
  4. Clear Command Central (desk) -  C
  5. Make Friday TDL - C
  6. Any thank you notes to write? - Need to write one. - C
Scheduled To Do:
  1. Drop off/Pick Up from School - C
  2. After School Activity -

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

My spending at the grocery store could for sure be better. I spend way too much and it's not like we're eating steak & lobster every night! I'm not a coupon clipper, I usually find that most of the products I don't buy. However, the store usually gives you a bunch of coupons (based on your purchases) with your receipt. I need to stop throwing these away & use them! I had recieved a $10 off coupon that I would have definetely thrown away if the clerk hadn't pointed it out! Wow! $10.00, I would NEVER throw that out the window!