Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Day 41: Teachable Moments

Yesterday I was going to write about my Dave Ramsey Teachable Moment. Here it it - When I decided to do the Total Money Makeover I also decided to begin teaching my children about the value of a dollar. It is so important. I want them to understand clothes, food, toys cost money. I do not want to over burden them but a healthy respect is just that healthy!

Last week my son (he is 6 yrs. old) came home from school with a large tear in his jeans. He did not get this tear from falling on the playground! He got it from taking a pair of scissors and cutting a hole! Needless to say I was not happy. Rather than getting mad and yelling I decided to make it a very teachable moment! I thought about it and thought about it and then it was like a light bulb went off on what to do.

We had misplaced and recently re-found a $20 gift card my son had received for his birthday to Target. (see what happens when you get yourself organized.) We had talked about what DS game he was going to purchase. I convinced him to wait until after Christmas - because you never know what Santa might bring! He could not wait to get to Target to buy a game.

Well - the cut jeans happen!  I told my son he was going to have to use his Target gift card to replace the jeans and if any money was left over he could use it for whatever. There was only $2 left over. Certainly not enough for a video game.

As we walked back by the video game section of Target his eyes got wide! He ran from game to game telling me that is what he wanted to buy. I would say very nicely "you just bought yourself a pair of jeans."
He was not happy. He certainly told me life was not fair.  I know he will remember the next time he wants to cut his jeans because he is bored - it won't happen.

I must say it was hard - very hard for me to be so "mean". My Grandmother used to tell my Mom it's much easier to say "yes" than "no". She was right. It was hard not to say "just get a game" especially since he had been such a good boy all day. I could not lose sight of making the point.

Parenting is tough. Some may not agree with what I did but I want to raise a man who is self sufficient and responsible.  I think the "punishment fit the crime." I bet I don't have any more cut jeans!


Wed. December 29
To Do List:

  1. ChaLEAN Extreme Push 1 - C
  2. Update workout in Wowy Supergym - C
  3. Do survey online for Dr. - C
  4. Call to let her know it is complete - C
  5. Reschedule OBGYN Apt. - C
  6. Work on DYS info. - 15 min. - C
  7. Put away laundry (I busted out 3 loads last night!) - C
  8. Wrap Gabriell's Bday gift -NC
  9. Work - C
  10. Send email to son's teacher - C

Always To Do:
  1. What's for dinner? - Speghetti - C
  2. Refer to weekly calendar. AM/PM -  C
  3. Put new apt. on the calendar   C
  4. Clear Command Central (desk) -    C
  5. Make Thursday TDL - C
  6. Any thank you notes to write? -  Yes!
Scheduled To Do:

  1. Hair apt. - C (and got a new hairdo! It's cute!!)

No comments: